Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for Babysitting and the Brewers

(For the 2014 A to Z Blogging Challenge, I am revisiting some of my old journal entries from approximately 1986 to 1999.  There will be something in the entry that has to do with that day's letter. These are my original writings and I intend them to remain as such.)

May 11, 1987: "We had an exciting weekend.   On Saturday, I had my babysitting class and passed.  Mom, Dad, P____, T__, and N_____went to a Brewers game.  I don't go.  On Sunday we saw a chocolate parade."

Well, I was not very verbose in those days. 

I was seriously quite proud that I completed the Red Cross babysitting pclass that was held at our local public library.   I did not regret no going to the Brewers game.  I wanted to be able to babysit, and this made me feel more official.  I was not yet a teen, either (I was 12.)  Now, as a parent, I have trouble thinking about letting someone so young sit for my child.  The culture has changed, too, about what age (and responsibility) is appropriate for a babysitter.  I did babysit a fair amount in the next several years after that class.

No comments:

Post a Comment