I started collecting re-usable shopping bags while living in Arizona a couple of years ago. Some stores were giving them out free as a promotion to get people to use them. I also bought one at Trader Joe once. Long story short, I own several. Recently, I even got a couple more at the conference I attended for one day.
The problem is that I kept forgetting them. I was lucky if I could remember to put them in my car ten percent of the time. I have been upping my percentage of use over the last two months - and even remembered to take them to Canada when we went (I remembered the last time I went shopping in Canada - no plastic bags available!)
In the last two weeks, I have fully used them! I have remembered for my last three shopping trips - even when I went to Target! I have a large purse. I just fold up the bags and put them in my purse so that I remember to put them back in the car for the next time.
A couple of days ago, my son and I reached the front door of the grocery store, and I said,
"Oops, we forgot our bags! Let's walk back to the car!"
My son was in an agreeable mood that day (as a three year old, he has had more tantrums than when he was two), and said,
"Okay, mommy!" And we did. We got the bags, and we had just the right amount of groceries for the size of the two bags we took into the store. The only plastic bag used was the one the checker insisted on using on the meat I bought that was dripping all over the place.
What kind of bag can I use for dripping meat? I am serious about that! We are not planning on vegetarianism at present. I used to be flexitarian, but ever since my first pregnancy, I can't stand the idea. I tend to have low iron, and beef in particular seems to keep that under control for me . . . but I digress.
We plan to continue using less plastic and more re-usable bags for our shopping in the future.
The problem is that I kept forgetting them. I was lucky if I could remember to put them in my car ten percent of the time. I have been upping my percentage of use over the last two months - and even remembered to take them to Canada when we went (I remembered the last time I went shopping in Canada - no plastic bags available!)
In the last two weeks, I have fully used them! I have remembered for my last three shopping trips - even when I went to Target! I have a large purse. I just fold up the bags and put them in my purse so that I remember to put them back in the car for the next time.
A couple of days ago, my son and I reached the front door of the grocery store, and I said,
"Oops, we forgot our bags! Let's walk back to the car!"
My son was in an agreeable mood that day (as a three year old, he has had more tantrums than when he was two), and said,
"Okay, mommy!" And we did. We got the bags, and we had just the right amount of groceries for the size of the two bags we took into the store. The only plastic bag used was the one the checker insisted on using on the meat I bought that was dripping all over the place.
What kind of bag can I use for dripping meat? I am serious about that! We are not planning on vegetarianism at present. I used to be flexitarian, but ever since my first pregnancy, I can't stand the idea. I tend to have low iron, and beef in particular seems to keep that under control for me . . . but I digress.
We plan to continue using less plastic and more re-usable bags for our shopping in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment