In the fall of 1995, the Internet was still pretty new to me. It was pretty new to most people, I am sure. I had just started my junior year of college (undergrad). At home, my parents had AOL or a similar service for a while around 1994, but I remember not finding much of interest at the time. At my university, they had Gopher - remember Gopher? I could search - almost all text-based - other universities, and find email addresses for old friends in other places! I remember that there were bulletin boards on various topics. I even joined a role-playing game during my freshman year. It was entirely text-based as well, and I had no clue what I was doing.
And then, that year, there were more computer labs being created on campus - plus more computers in the library. And they all had internet access.
I know that I wasted so much time going on the internet.
And I wanted to know how to create my own website. I remember looking at a book on HTML at the university library - while I was working behind the circ desk. It was on reserve by a professor for a class! I didn't have the time to learn then, however.
And the punchline? In my personal journal (handwritten in a lined-paper notebook), I called it "the World Wide Web"!
Guess what I did, in all of my excitment? I looked up pictures of Brad Pitt!
And then, that year, there were more computer labs being created on campus - plus more computers in the library. And they all had internet access.
I know that I wasted so much time going on the internet.
And I wanted to know how to create my own website. I remember looking at a book on HTML at the university library - while I was working behind the circ desk. It was on reserve by a professor for a class! I didn't have the time to learn then, however.
And the punchline? In my personal journal (handwritten in a lined-paper notebook), I called it "the World Wide Web"!
Guess what I did, in all of my excitment? I looked up pictures of Brad Pitt!
No comments:
Post a Comment