My little boy is now three years old. For a couple of weeks, his sleep at night was deep and beautiful. For months, he has been sleeping as late as nine AM (very nice for me.) In the last week - and perhaps I can blame the early hour of sunrise - he has been waking again before seven AM. I am trying to remind myself that I should treasure this time with him. He is not going to be this little forever. I am reminded of this by re-reading my personal journals from eight/nine years ago, when I babysat a few times for my older nephew when he was just this age. This nephew is now a tween!
It is such a fun age in many ways. He says funny things, and is still doing some interesting thing with his grammar, such as "I can't unbuckle N___'s self!" (Uses the first person and the third person in the same sentence.) At the park the other day, which we rode to with my bike and his trailer, he told a little girl who was curious about the trailer and had come over to investigate, "Don't touch N___'s things!"
I was actually rather appalled by what he said. He is used to being an only child. (I've hoped that we'd have another by now, but it hasn't happened yet. And his older brother died almost two years before N's birth.) He is getting rather spoiled in a sense, too. I let him get away with things sometimes that I shouldn't.
We are nipping the half-eaten food thing in the bud. Seriously. If he has asked for some food, he must finish that food before he can have any other food. The other problem now is the milk-dumping issue. If he decides he doesn't want his milk, he will walk to the bathroom and pour it in the sink. Sometimes I don't get him stopped in time. (I am working on that, too.) And down goes expensive milk. Last night, while I was working on dishes in the kitchen, he transferred milk from his plastic cup to a glass I'd used for supper that I'd foolishly left on the table with the thought that I would get it to put it in the dishwasher after the clean dishes were put away. He then took the glass into the bathroom to dump the milk in the sink - where the glass shattered. My son was fine, but a little scared. I hugged him and reassured him, and made sure he wasn't cut - but at the same time I was fighting the urge to yell at him! I have told him time and again not to dump milk in the sink - and he could have hurt himself badly!
I suspect that allergies are maybe the reason for his poorer sleep lately. He already gets allergy medication every night, but it is spring. The leaves are popping out on the trees everywhere we look - and this causes great problems for me. He sounds congested in his sleep much of the time. And yet, he is three. He just wants to go have fun at the park. He asks me every day to go. Two days ago, we went to two difference parks (with playgrounds.) I don't know if this is good - allergy-wise - for either of us, but it is fun to go rather than being cooped up with him in the house begging and screaming for the park. And so we go.
It is such a fun age in many ways. He says funny things, and is still doing some interesting thing with his grammar, such as "I can't unbuckle N___'s self!" (Uses the first person and the third person in the same sentence.) At the park the other day, which we rode to with my bike and his trailer, he told a little girl who was curious about the trailer and had come over to investigate, "Don't touch N___'s things!"
I was actually rather appalled by what he said. He is used to being an only child. (I've hoped that we'd have another by now, but it hasn't happened yet. And his older brother died almost two years before N's birth.) He is getting rather spoiled in a sense, too. I let him get away with things sometimes that I shouldn't.
We are nipping the half-eaten food thing in the bud. Seriously. If he has asked for some food, he must finish that food before he can have any other food. The other problem now is the milk-dumping issue. If he decides he doesn't want his milk, he will walk to the bathroom and pour it in the sink. Sometimes I don't get him stopped in time. (I am working on that, too.) And down goes expensive milk. Last night, while I was working on dishes in the kitchen, he transferred milk from his plastic cup to a glass I'd used for supper that I'd foolishly left on the table with the thought that I would get it to put it in the dishwasher after the clean dishes were put away. He then took the glass into the bathroom to dump the milk in the sink - where the glass shattered. My son was fine, but a little scared. I hugged him and reassured him, and made sure he wasn't cut - but at the same time I was fighting the urge to yell at him! I have told him time and again not to dump milk in the sink - and he could have hurt himself badly!
I suspect that allergies are maybe the reason for his poorer sleep lately. He already gets allergy medication every night, but it is spring. The leaves are popping out on the trees everywhere we look - and this causes great problems for me. He sounds congested in his sleep much of the time. And yet, he is three. He just wants to go have fun at the park. He asks me every day to go. Two days ago, we went to two difference parks (with playgrounds.) I don't know if this is good - allergy-wise - for either of us, but it is fun to go rather than being cooped up with him in the house begging and screaming for the park. And so we go.
No comments:
Post a Comment