A couple of years ago, I read a little fan fiction that was recommended to me. There is a particular writer who extended the Anne series originally by Lucy Maud Montgomery, and has done, I feel, an excellent job in capturing Montgomery's writing feel. She stays true to the original characters. The stories seem to be decently edited.
At that time, I also discovered one writer who did a better job with extending the Brady Brunch story than the original "real" scripts! I was pleasantly surprised. Still, that writer only took the Bradys up until the mid-1990s. I like to see this person post more installments that bring the family up to today.
Very recently, I decided to check if these two writers posted anything new. And while I was at it, decided to check out some other fan faction. I particularly like the ones that extend the stories of various tv shows. Some of them are just funny due to the amount of tragedy that occurs. Many of them are very badly written when it comes to grammar! Come on, people . . . you can at least run spell check before you post! Perhaps running the story by a friend or relative who has a better grasp on sentence structure is not a bad idea, either. Some of the stories based off the Babysitters' Club are prime examples of this. (And boy, are some of those really funny! Let's see . . . in one, Mary Ann has a baby as a 15 year old and is also injured in a car crash a year or two later. In another Stacy has a baby as a 15 year old, and of course, that was iffy due to her diabetes. In yet another, Stacy is dead after date rape.
I realize now that I dabbled in fan fiction attempts as a kid. They were very poorly written, and I would never have put them online back then if the internet was available to me nearly 30 years ago. In one story, my fictional characters were going to meet various book characters that I loved. In another one, I was going to do what the author suggested and plan my own ending to the series. I only got a couple of pages written for that one, but got all the characters and descendants mapped out!
I have found some other good ones now, but almost none of them are finished! It also looks like they were posted some time ago, so the authors may not be posting any more. Leaving your readers hanging isn't the smartest idea, either.
I know some authors don't like fan fiction being written using their characters, and I personally respect that very much. Those characters are their "babies." Perhaps that is why I like the ones based off of tv shows better. There are some decent 7th Heaven stories . . . with various scenarios. It seems that someone dies and everyone gets together, or the entire family is angry with each other, but usually everything seems to work out. There is one story in which everyone has become pretty psychotic, particularly Lucy. (I'm not sure that I liked that one, however.)
Some other ones that I have read that I have generally sort of liked, but many include death and or maiming, and usually babies being born, are based on the following characters/shows:
- Lizzie Maguire is hit by a car and blinded.
- Lizzie Maquire's parents have twins
- Miley/Hannah Montana gets leukemia.
- Keith Partridge is dying of an unusual tumor in his brain.
- Rory Gilmore has a baby.
- Kitty Foreman (That 70s Show) is dying and everyone gathers around her, with surprise babies showing up, and interesting love interests kindled and re-kindled.
- Nellie Oleson Dalton (LHOTP, the show, not the beloved books) is in a horrible accident in NYC and it's not known if she'll walk again, plus another pregnancy.
- Laura (LHOTP - again, TV Laura, not the one of the books or of real life - there was enough drama in her real life) is in some horse accident and is in a coma for several days.
Oh, and just to add some details to the Brady Bunch one, yes, there is a helicopter crash, a car crash, twins born, international adoption, a marriage, etc, etc. . . lots of drama!
I think mostly I find most of these stories humorous maybe when they shouldn't be that I keep reading them lately. I am curious to see what other people are coming up with, too.
At that time, I also discovered one writer who did a better job with extending the Brady Brunch story than the original "real" scripts! I was pleasantly surprised. Still, that writer only took the Bradys up until the mid-1990s. I like to see this person post more installments that bring the family up to today.
Very recently, I decided to check if these two writers posted anything new. And while I was at it, decided to check out some other fan faction. I particularly like the ones that extend the stories of various tv shows. Some of them are just funny due to the amount of tragedy that occurs. Many of them are very badly written when it comes to grammar! Come on, people . . . you can at least run spell check before you post! Perhaps running the story by a friend or relative who has a better grasp on sentence structure is not a bad idea, either. Some of the stories based off the Babysitters' Club are prime examples of this. (And boy, are some of those really funny! Let's see . . . in one, Mary Ann has a baby as a 15 year old and is also injured in a car crash a year or two later. In another Stacy has a baby as a 15 year old, and of course, that was iffy due to her diabetes. In yet another, Stacy is dead after date rape.
I realize now that I dabbled in fan fiction attempts as a kid. They were very poorly written, and I would never have put them online back then if the internet was available to me nearly 30 years ago. In one story, my fictional characters were going to meet various book characters that I loved. In another one, I was going to do what the author suggested and plan my own ending to the series. I only got a couple of pages written for that one, but got all the characters and descendants mapped out!
I have found some other good ones now, but almost none of them are finished! It also looks like they were posted some time ago, so the authors may not be posting any more. Leaving your readers hanging isn't the smartest idea, either.
I know some authors don't like fan fiction being written using their characters, and I personally respect that very much. Those characters are their "babies." Perhaps that is why I like the ones based off of tv shows better. There are some decent 7th Heaven stories . . . with various scenarios. It seems that someone dies and everyone gets together, or the entire family is angry with each other, but usually everything seems to work out. There is one story in which everyone has become pretty psychotic, particularly Lucy. (I'm not sure that I liked that one, however.)
Some other ones that I have read that I have generally sort of liked, but many include death and or maiming, and usually babies being born, are based on the following characters/shows:
- Lizzie Maguire is hit by a car and blinded.
- Lizzie Maquire's parents have twins
- Miley/Hannah Montana gets leukemia.
- Keith Partridge is dying of an unusual tumor in his brain.
- Rory Gilmore has a baby.
- Kitty Foreman (That 70s Show) is dying and everyone gathers around her, with surprise babies showing up, and interesting love interests kindled and re-kindled.
- Nellie Oleson Dalton (LHOTP, the show, not the beloved books) is in a horrible accident in NYC and it's not known if she'll walk again, plus another pregnancy.
- Laura (LHOTP - again, TV Laura, not the one of the books or of real life - there was enough drama in her real life) is in some horse accident and is in a coma for several days.
Oh, and just to add some details to the Brady Bunch one, yes, there is a helicopter crash, a car crash, twins born, international adoption, a marriage, etc, etc. . . lots of drama!
I think mostly I find most of these stories humorous maybe when they shouldn't be that I keep reading them lately. I am curious to see what other people are coming up with, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment