Tucson Festival of Books 2012
I spent most of the day at the Tucson Festival of Books (it's the fourth year it's been held, and the fourth year I have attended) . . . I managed to get to two author sessions, and get a couple of books signed. I was so pleased to finally meet Laura Fitzgerald! Except that I gushed a bit, when I had told myself I wasn't going to gush. I did not get books signed by R.L. Stine - the line was too long. I saw him, though, and saw Terry Brooks and Alice Hoffman in passing.
Overall, the Festival of Books is excellent . . . but. . . The festival is just too crowded with people. I know that's part of the point - to get people there - but I really liked the first year of the festival in 2009 because it was less busy and felt a bit more relaxed. (It could just be that I get very anxious in large, thick crowds.)
And this year (more so than previous years) there just seemed to be a plethora of people walking around looking for signatures for their political issues and/or candidates, a very small parades of 99% protesters, proselytizers, etc. It was all very overwhelming.
Besides Laura Fitzgerald, author of Veil of Roses and Dreaming in English (and working on a YA trilogy, and then a book about the first female prisoners of war), I heard Doreen Rappoport speak and read from her book Beyond Courage, which is coming out in September. She was interesting!
I think I need to really write (as I intended to years ago), publish, and then attend events such as this as an author.
I will post more as I get the chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment