No, I purposefully did not participate in this morning's Koman's Race for the Cure in Tucson . . . and it had nothing to do with recent controversies. Almost four years ago (and missing my first son badly, he having recently died from complications of procedures related to his congenital heart and lung defects), I got fed up at the grocery store when the checker asked if I wanted to contribute. I already had the feeling that they just must have a ton of money . . . the pink ribbons everywhere. So annoying. (Just to note, I was supportive until I found a better Cause.) I said I would contribute if it was for research toward congenital heart defects, March of Dimes or even toward pediatric cancer research efforts - or pretty much any cause that wasn't just one type of cancer (what about the rare ones, for instance?) The store just wasn't participating in collecting for any of those efforts and the checker probably didn't deserve my anger . . . but that's just how I felt/feel. The race I am participating in next week is directly for local ALS research. Which is fine with me.
I hope to participate in a heart-related race in the future.
This does not mean that I don't support breast cancer survivors. One of my friends is a survivor. It just means that I feel like enough money should be already going towards breast cancer, and more money should be going elsewhere for other causes.
I completely agree with this! It isn't that breast cancer doesn't need money for research, it is that there are SOOOO many childhood cancers that get NO funding. I think most mothers would agree that children need a cure too. Thanks for posting your blog Leisl. I am enjoying reading it and getting to know you just a little bit better!
ReplyDelete