Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y is for Young Adult Fiction (aka Teen Fiction)

Young Adult Fiction. . . Personally, I began reading it around age 10 (and perhaps before), and have never stopped. However, for the purposes of this post, I will limit the titles on this list to those I read for the first time between the ages of 10 and 18. They are in no particular order, except as I think of them. This list isn't complete, by any means. Of course, this list does not includes Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, etc! It also will not include the Anne of Green Gables series even though I first read them during this time . . . I will create other blog posts to discuss some of these favorite books.

1) Children of the Dust ~ Louise Lawrence
I loved this book when I was in 7th grade. Apocalyptic fiction of its time (nuclear war, of course.) I also wrote about it four years ago on my book blog - here's the link:
http://ketabgirl2.blogspot.com/2008/03/title-children-of-dust.html

2) My Sister's Keeper ~ Beverly Butler
Another disaster book - but this one is based fact. It takes places in 1871 during the great Pestigo fire in Wisconsin (which kind of gets covered up by history, because the Chicago fire happened at the exact same time.) I first read this book in 5th grade. The main character is 17 years old.

3) The Diary of Trilby Frost ~
I also read this one in 7th grade, and wrote a book report on it. The thing that stands out most in my memory is that Trilby's best friend dies of tetanus. I think.

4) Izzy Willy-Nilly ~ Cynthia Voigt
I first read this (re-read many times after) in the summer before 7th grade. Izzy stupidly gets in a car with a drunk boyfriend driving, after a party. She loses one of her legs in the ensuing accident. This book taught me to never ride with a drunk boyfriend (hey - I will drive if my husband drinks anything!) For years, I never really got the "willy-nilly" part of the title. . .

5) The Callendar Papers ~ Cynthia Voigt
Just a fun historical fiction mystery. I loved it.

6) Eunice Gottlieb and the Unwhitewashed Truth About Life ~
My middle school librarian held this back for me to be the first reader when it was brand new, because she thought I'd like it. I did. 13 years later, I was a young Youth Services Librarian, a year or so out of grad (library) school, and discarding a different copy of the same book. I emailed her, and she emailed back. She retired in 2004.

7)The Other Side of Dark ~ Joan Lowery Nixon
I met the author several years ago . . . but I am not sure where I put the photo! Anyway, I discussed this book four years ago on my book blog. I still own my own paperback copy. The premise of waking up from a coma after four years, and everything being very different was fascinating to me.
http://ketabgirl2.blogspot.com/2008/03/title-other-side-of-dark.html

8) A Dance to Still Music ~ Barbara Corcoran
Another book about a more personal type of disaster . . . the main character has lost her hearing, and has to make a new version of her life for herself.

9) Maggie Adams, Dancer ~ Karen Strickler Dean
I loved this book and the two sequels as an 11 year old. I never took a ballet class as a kid, and was always intensely fascinated by dance books. Okay . . . I still like them! I should take a class someday myself.

10) Second Star to the Right ~ Deborah Hauzig
One of the first eating disorder/anorexia books I ever read. Personally, I wanted to lose weight, but anorexia just seemed so horrible as I read this book.

11) Six Months to Live ~ Lurlene McDaniel
Yes, I liked Lurlene McDaniel's books. Very quick reads, too. That's all I will say.

12) Secrets Not Meant to Be Kept ~ Gloria Miklowitz
I read most of this author's books over the years, but this one made a big impression on me when I was 12. An older sister is trying to figure out what is going on at her little sister's preschool - and her memories of her own molestation are returning.

13) Lindsay, Lindsay, Fly Away Home ~ Stella Pevsner
I met the author at event when I was 13. I was not very impressed with her . . . she didn't seem to want to talk. She did sign my paperback copy of this book - and it is a well-read copy now! It was from this book that I learned about detasseling for the first time! A few years later, my brothers went out and detasseled corn to earn money. Long hard hot work. The main character is living in the Chicago suburbs after growing up in India with the man who she thought was her dad.

14) 13 is Too Young to Die ~ Issacson-Bright (The original version.)
I wrote about this book four years ago: http://ketabgirl2.blogspot.com/2008/03/titles-13-is-too-young-to-die-1980-1989.html

15) Locked in Time ~ Lois Duncan
I need to write more about this book . . . one of my favorites when I was 12/12 years old! This is also another book that I re-read so many times. Prior to getting "into" vampires, this was the story that intrigued me because of the time/immortality aspect. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. I also wrote about this book in 2008: Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes ~ Chris Crutcher
I was 17 years old when this one came out. I loved the title when I saw it on display at the public library in the teen section (by that time I was destined to become a Librarian, because I could not visit the library without visiting absolutely every section of the library!) I related to the book very much because several of the characters seemed similar some of the people in my own high school. It is well-written. Over ten years later, as a teen/YA Librarian, I met Mr. Crutcher, and got a copy of the book signed. It was a great experience.

17) Carrie ~ Stephen King . . . Yes, I am considering this YA, or most definitely a crossover from adult! I had just turned 14. My mom, up to that point, had been discouraging me from reading Stephen King. I listened to her, and finally said, I am reading it, and I did! I really enjoyed it for the most part, too.

18) This Child is Mine ~ Celia Strang
I was 11 when I read this . . . a young girl's older teen sister is pregnant, and has decided to give the baby up for adoption, but after the baby is born, the girl is taking care of her infant nephew and doesn't want to give him up.

19) A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag ~ Gordon Korman
I read this as a freshman in high school - also pulled off the display at the public library due to the title and the cover. I haven't re-read this in ages. (Maybe I should!)

20) Lisa, Bright and Dark ~ John Neufeld
The entire class read this in "gifted" English class in 8th Grade. We had to keep a journal on each chapter, etc. It was my first real exposure to schizophrenia.

21) Waiting for Johnny Miracle ~ Alice Bach
Another personal/family disaster type book . . . the main character's twin sister has osteosarcoma. She is going to get an experimental titanium bone implant in her leg instead of having her leg amputated.

22) Strange Tomorrow ~ Jean Carl
Post-apocalyptic (after the bomb kind of thing) story. I read this as a teen, but it came in handy about 10 years later as a librarian when a patron came in trying to figure out the name of a book (this one) her daughter had read about 10 years before! I recognized her description of the plot! We were able to ILL the book for her.

23) The Girl Who Owned a City ~ O.T. Nelson
Another end of the world as we know it book . . . Everyone over a certain age dies, and the kids are left to fight it out in the Chicago Suburbs! Apparently there is now a graphic novel, but I have not seen it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment