Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Unwind by Neal Shusterman (A to Z Blog Challenge)



Two days before I had my first son S (December 2007), I read a new teen/YA fiction novel by Neal Shusterman. I had the opportunity to meet the author in person in March 2009 at the first Tucson Festival of Books.

The book I read, while having irregular contractions and nausea, was Unwind. I was already nauseous, and then I read this book for some reason. I was the Young Adult Librarian where I worked at the time, and I felt the book look very intriguing. In fact, I could not put it down.

After finishing the book, I was sure that I was going to throw up - and then ended up in the shower just feeling so sick. It wasn't just the end of pregnancy; the book was THAT powerful!

Giving away the thing (SPOILER ALERT) . . . (so will insert cover of book here . . . )




-
-
-
-





So basically, for punishment for very little, teens in good health are taken apart - while their minds are still intact and aware - so their body parts can giving to other people who need them (whether they deserve them or not), as the art of transplant is now perfect.

It was also an interesting, if rather gross, book to read at a time when I knew I was about to give birth to a little boy with massive heart defects.

1 comment:

  1. This book is currently part of our Dystopia display at the library I work at. Its still really popular (20 of the 25 copies in the system are checked out) which is really good for a book published in 2007.

    ReplyDelete