Thursday, April 19, 2012

Quiet and Quituplets (A to Z Blog Challenge)

Q is for Quiet and Quintuplets . . .

I have a single toddler that I am presently raising (although you know from my previous posts that he is my second little boy). Oh my, I just feel overwhelmed sometimes! He turned two a month ago, but about three weeks before that his "sheytoonity" (sheytoon is the Persian word for naughty)kicked into high gear. For other people he behaves very nicely and sweetly. With me, it is something entirely diffent. He gets hooked on things right now, such as "wasser" (how he pronounces water). A few days ago, I heard wasser, wasser, wasser, wasser, over and over. I counted fifty utterances of water in a forty minute time period. You'd think I have dehydrated him. That is not the case as based on his diapers! He just wants a bottle (not a baby bottle or a sippy cup) so he can play with the water, dump the water and then cry "I need wasser now!". If it's not "wasser", he wants "waffle". He is a well-fed boy who loves green vegetables (green beans, zucchini, peas, spinach!) so this obsession with waffles has been trying to say the least.

By the end of the day, I am practically in tears myself just needing some quiet from the repetition, from the constant vortex of movement. I feel insane sometimes. I am mostly a SAHM, I guess. I work part-time sometimes - I am a Librarian with a MLIS - and N is at daycare two days a week. (He is nearly perfectly behaved there, according to his teacher!) Sometimes I just want to scream!

When I was around 13, I read a memoir written in the 1980s titled Full House. It was written by Karen Anderson, the mother of the Anderson Quintuplets, who were the surprise culmination of years of trying to have a baby. She had taken a fertility drug. At first it was twins, then triplets, and then quadruplets, and then there were five. This was back in the early 1970s, so ultrasounds weren't as bountiful as they are now. These five, including one with a heart defect (which she had surgery for when she was big enough), joined two adopted older brothers. So, they suddenly had seven kids! I always through that would be fun. I don't think so any more. . . I don't even know how I'd handle twins!

I suppose I would figure that out, if we had twins! No plans for twins, and no fertility drugs, either, but there are some sets of twins in my family tree. My great-grandma on my dad's side was a fraternal twin. Her father was a twin. I am getting older, which can also lead to multiple births. It could happen, I suppose. I am not sure I want it to happen or not. I would want them both to be healthy, and that's all I know for sure. (And no, I am not pregnant! At this writing, I know of at least 13 family and friends who are expecting. Oh my.)

No comments:

Post a Comment