Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Why Phase

Warning: This is a parenting-related post! 

My three year old son has entered the "Why" phase.  Just in the the last week, almost all conversations now including the follow questions: "Why?"  and "Why not?"

Over 30 years ago years ago, one of my brothers asked kept asking "why?" during a tornado (not just a watch or warning . . . the tornado was on the ground a half mile away from us.  There were fields between our home and the tornado.)  He asked why we had to go into the basement and Dad got to stay upstairs to watch.  I wondered the same, actually.  He got to see the tornado while we did not.  The windows were blown in at the church nearby.  Our house ended up being fine.  We were very lucky.  The path of the tornado took it to another neighborhood where friends lived.  For some reason we were able to go check on them the next day (part of their roof was ripped off.)  I have memories of the house across the street from theirs - the large tree in the front yard had split their house in half.

That is what is on my mind when my son is now asking "why?"

He tries to answer some of his own questions sometimes when suddenly he says things such as this: "Because I wanted to touch T's phone on the big screen!"  He can't tell me yet what he was first thinking about, but I knew this relates back to last week when he saw his uncle graduate, and they also showed it at the same time on those big stadium screen boxes.  My son is also into phones, iPods, computers, tablets . . . anything electronic.

Yesterday was the worst day so far (or the best day, depending on how you look at it) for the why questions . . . why couldn't he have potato chips?  Why can't he pour the full container of milk by himself (independence is a big thing for him now, too)? Why does he have to pick up his toys? Why can't he wear his diaper?  "Why not?" to no ice cream for supper, to no chips for a snack, to not buying coconut water at the grocery store. (That last one?  He just liked the can.)

That is where we are at right now.  I am not sure how to end this post other than that I will keep you updated! (And hopefully we will not experience tornadoes where we live . . .  I do still plan to go with professional storm chasers someday, however.)

No comments:

Post a Comment