Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Notes from The Thyroid Diet Revolution by Mary Shomon

I was finally able to get my hands on a copy of The Thyroid Diet Revolution by Mary Shomon through interlibrary loan.  

Here are some of my notes from it:

Apparently a fitness expert, Mark Sisson, says that the sort of workout that "overtaxes the stress response in your body" is not good.   "Workouts that put you in systained periods of elevated heart rate . . . intensive exercise can also cause a release of stress homones . . . rather than help, it actually contributes to an increased risk of insulin resistance." (Page 291)

Nutritional psychologist Marc David is quoted as saying, "Intense exercise can closely mimic the stress response.  Yes, aerobic exercise  is great for us and has a long list of wonderful metabolic benefits . . . But in the wrong context exercise can wear us down, elevating cortisol and insulin levels, generating inflammatory chemicals, and locking us into surivval metabolism in which we vigorously store fat and arrest the building of muscle." (Page 292)

[So could this be why I GAINED weight last year while training for the 5K?? I've been wondering why I can't seem to lose lately either, with all of the regular exercise, and yes, even the running I have done a few
times a week.]

Will add more very soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment