Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Peanut Butter Debate (Things I Only Vaguely Have An Opinion About #1)

So, I guess some "mommy bloggers" have a peanut butter debate going on right now.

I really don't care that much.  Just enough to comment on it.

I am allergic.  Anaphylaxis.   For nearly seven years now.  (If you haven't seen any of my previous posts, take a look . . . yes, you can develop new food allergies as an adult - up to age 65, even.)

Therefore, I don't want it in the house.

Too bad for my son.

I don't care.

He gets plenty of other good food.

And . . . dare I say . . . when I was a kid, I DETESTED peanut butter (except in the peanut butter popcorn my mom used to make.  Nummy!  I want to see if there is soy butter that would work instead.)  As a kid, my mom kept trying to foist peanut butter sandwiches on me.  It didn't matter the kind of peanut butter or chunky or no . . . the whole experience was just horrible in my child's mind.  And then the ants on a log thing that relatives thought us kids would like.  Celery sticks are horrible, texture-wise, too!  So why would I really want ants on a log?  Just give me the raisins and be done with it.

Another thing was my mom putting peanut butter in Krispie Treats.   One day in school, a classmate brought in regular Krispie Treats, and then I knew the difference.   Better without the peanut buttter.

Peanut Butter Cookies were good.   I didn't care what peanut butter I used . . . usually whatever was on sale when I made them myself as an adult.

Peanuts were another issue.  I liked them plain from the shell.  I liked peanut M+Ms.

I miss peanut M+Ms.

That is all.

2 comments:

  1. Bummer when you like something and develop an allergy to it. My fiance loves shrimp but gets a rash, so every once in a while she eats it anyway and she gets all splotchy looking.

    As for substitues, I am sure you have some, but have you ever tried sunbutter or peabutter? Google 'em if not. I believe they have a website even.

    I hope I never develop an allergy to jalapenos or spicy food else I will shrivel up and die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If sunbutter involves sunflower seeds, then no. About a year after my initial tree nut and peanut reactions, I started having sunflower seed reactions, too. Sunflower seeds show up, disappointingly, in several nut-free products, so I have to really read ingredient lists.

    Pea butter might work. I haven't seen it, but I can take a look! It looks promising, as I look at the websites.

    ReplyDelete