Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for Oboe and Occluded Front (Day #16 of A to Z Blog Challenge)

1)Oboe

For a while now, I have felt like I should learn to play the oboe. Maybe I will take it up later on . . . we can't afford an instrument right now. I have also never played an instrument with a reed (or double-reed) before.

2) Occluded Front

I was a meteorology major for a year and half, and then I officially changed it to English. I REALLY had no idea what I should do with my life - except that I loved my part-time job at the university library. I also still loved weather, but seriously, I couldn't hack all of the math classes I needed to take. I tried Calculus twice, in fact. (I always felt like I was almost getting it, but not quite, and it caused a lot of anxiety which made things worse when it came to exams.)

An occluded front is a front that is formed when a cold front overtakes a warm front at the surface - and the warm air is forced up. There may or may not be exciting weather associated with it. Fronts are boundaries between air masses of different temperatures. Cold fronts move faster than warm air masses, and they can overtake them - make an occluded front.

So . . . there you go.

3 comments:

  1. Why would you want to learn the oboe? Seriously, you need to be called at a young age. I'm sure you could think of a more exciting instrument. What diverse subjects you studied at uni. Blog on!

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father in law is an amateur meteorologist, he seriously loves weather watching and studying, but your explanation makes much more sense to me than any others I've had about fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husbands alternative rock / power pop band has an Oboe player. They are currently on break because she moved to Iowa while her husband's in med school. Oboe players are in short supply.

    ReplyDelete