One of my most favorite movies ever is Twister (1996). I saw it first in the movie theater about a week after it was released (I had to wait as I had final exams to take that week - finishing my junior year of college.) That fall, when it was released on video I watched it three times in a row one weekend when I probably should have been reading a Jane Austen novel for my seminar class.
Before I became an English major, I was a meterology major (honestly, I really couldn't hack all of the math. I wanted to do the real thing, and not be on tv.) Prior to that, back in high school, I used to tell people that I wanted to be a storm chaser. In 1990, this was definitely less heard of than after Twister came out. People would like at me like I was crazy.
Even though I did not become a meteorologist, nor truly a storm chaser, I still enjoy weather and storms. I have gone storm-chasing locally on occasion on my own . . . And I still enjoy re-watching Twister at least once a year.
This time, however, I really something that's bothered me this whole time. Why didn't Jo's dad just go down to the bottom of the storm cellar with his wife and daughter, instead of trying to hold the darn door shut? He would have survived and not been pulled up by the tornado. I know that this occurance was what prompted the character of Jo to get into the science of tornadoes in the first place, and without it, there would have been no story. However, perhaps there was a less stupid way that he could have died in the tornado?
I don't have too much more to say about the movie right now. I still love the soundtrack. I used to listen to it when I wrote papers my senior year and then during grad school. It really kept me moving. However, I figured out that I couldn't listen to it while driving . . . it make me drive faster than usual.
No comments:
Post a Comment